Hiring a professional moving company vs. a self move:
There are several things to consider when deciding if a self move is right for you. Here are some suggestions to assist you in making that important decision:
- Perform a general inventory of the belongings which you will be moving – are there several heavy items?
- Could you lift those heavy items without assistance?
- Compare the cost of hiring professional movers to the cost of performing the move yourself. Include in your calculations the cost for the size of moving van you will need, distance, gas prices, lodging and food expenses, boxes, padding, and other packing supplies, as well as any other expenses you would incur if you move yourself.
- Consider whether you want to use friends or professional movers to help you move your belongings. Remember that if you use friends instead of professionals, there is a greater chance of heavy or valuable items being damaged or broken during the move.
- You should also consider what kind of moving truck you will need. It will be easier to move your belongings yourself using a smaller size van. If you discover that you will need a larger size van, remember that you may need a special driver’s license to drive it. Check with your state or local government for more information.
If you need to store some larger items while you move to a new residence, we can provide the ideal storage solutions. Contact us today to learn more!