The Best Ways To Pack Your Belongings for Moving or Storage:
- Be careful that you don’t pack too much weight into a box, to ensure that the taping does not loosen and break.
- Write on the side of each box what is inside and to which room it belongs.
- Wrap all paper items in plastic to prevent moisture from accumulating.
- Keep every item separate by wrapping each one individually in either paper, old cloth, or foam. This will also make them easier to unpack.
- To ensure that delicate items such as china or wine glasses remain intact, use extra paper and wrap each item several times.
- Wax any wooden furniture with wood varnish prior to placing it in storage to prevent moisture from affecting the wood. Dismantle furniture if possible, and make sure to put the nuts, bolts, and screws into a plastic bag that is securely taped to the dismantled set.
- Use thick cloths between wooden items to prevent them from scratching each other.
- To prevent mattresses from losing shape and absorbing moisture, wrap them in the special bags available at hardware stores.
- Store electrical equipment in their original boxes, if possible. Otherwise, wrap them as you would any delicate items.
- Apply a thin coat of oil to objects made of metal or a similar alloy before you wrap them.
- Put mothballs inside boxes where you store your clothes.
- Last but not least, remember to give yourself plenty of time to pack so you do not have to rush.
When you’re packing for a move, or to place certain items in storage, Longmont Storage is always here to help. Call us at (303) 772-6753 to learn more.